Saturday’s Soup Swap — was amazing.
There were over 30 people in my house, laughing, eating and sharing. It rocked.
People left asking about NEXT YEAR’S!!!!!
I have OVER 90 CANS of soup and foods to donate to the Food Bank of Corpus Christi!!!
(Can I get a Woot! Woot!!?)
That is in ADDITION to the $250 that Cabot Cheese donated to them! Thank you, Cabot!
Related: if you can get your hands on their Vintage Stock Cheddar or Private Stock Cheddar — holy moses y’all… MULTIPLE tonguegasms.. MULTIPLE. Y’all, seriously — people were moaning over this cheese.
I have some wonderful recipes to share with y’all — Pig Slop — Hearty V8 Soup – Wild Rice Chicken Soup – 5 Can Chili – Steak and Potato (mine) – Bean and Bacon (mine) – Creamy Onion – Tortilla Soup (traditional) – Sausage Cheese Balls – Creamy White Cheddar Dip — you get the idea.
For today, I’m sharing my crazy adorable, funny as hell, lovely friend, Mindy’s, Light Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.
Mindy’s recipe cards were eye catching and unique AND she brought extras!
I know, I know, you kinda want to slap her and adore her all at the same time.
Oh HAI Mindy
Mindy’s recipe cards, along with another friend, Sherry’s, totally set the bar for next year’s Soup Swap.
Mindy was gracious enough to make a LOT of her lighter Tortilla Soup and she brought enough that everyone got to taste it.
I have NEVER had a tortilla soup that wasn’t a tomato based soup.
This was light and the flavors of the cilantro, poblanos, lime juice and onion — wow. I could taste each flavor and they blended together in perfect, tonguegasmic harmony.
Do I have your attention?
I should, trust me.
OH — did I mention Her husband? Yeah — he fried tortilla strips AND sliced avocados to bring for us to eat with our soup. Yep.
Alright, I know, you’re thinking.. ‘shut it already, Rachel, give us the RECIPE!’
So, here it is.
Recipe: Mindy’s Light Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 8 (or more) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- Vegetable Oil (for frying the tortilla strips)
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 fresh Poblano Chiles, rinsed, seeded, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 C chopped Onion
- 8 C chicken broth
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro
- 1/4 C lime juice
- Monterrey Jack Cheese (for garnish)
- Avocado Slices (for garnish)
- Fry tortilla strips in oil until crisp, set aside
- Bring broth, onions and chiles to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add cooked chicken and cilantro, cover and simmer 5 minutes
- Add lime juice and stir
- Ladle soup into serving bowls
- Divide tortilla strips among bowls and garnish with avocado and cheese
* I hope you enjoy this super simple, delicious and light soup!! Fried tortilla strips can be substituted with tortilla chips, however it is worth the extra effort to fry your own
*** Rachel’s note — if you like the zing — don’t seed the peppers
Mindy, I can’t thank you enough — for your friendship, your recipe, your help, your laughter and your family — also, hope your voice is back **snicker**