Mindy’s Tortilla Soup

[donotprint] soup swap collage

Saturday’s Soup Swap — was amazing.

There were over 30 people in my house, laughing, eating and sharing. It rocked.
People left asking about NEXT YEAR’S!!!!!

I have OVER 90 CANS of soup and foods to donate to the Food Bank of Corpus Christi!!!

(Can I get a Woot! Woot!!?)

That is in ADDITION to the $250 that Cabot Cheese donated to them! Thank you, Cabot!

Related: if you can get your hands on their Vintage Stock Cheddar or Private Stock Cheddar — holy moses y’all… MULTIPLE tonguegasms.. MULTIPLE. Y’all, seriously — people were moaning over this cheese.

I have some wonderful recipes to share with y’all — Pig Slop — Hearty V8 Soup – Wild Rice Chicken Soup – 5 Can Chili – Steak and Potato (mine) – Bean and Bacon (mine) – Creamy Onion – Tortilla Soup (traditional) – Sausage Cheese Balls – Creamy White Cheddar Dip — you get the idea.

For today, I’m sharing my crazy adorable, funny as hell, lovely friend, Mindy’s, Light Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.

Mindy’s recipe cards were eye catching and unique AND she brought extras!

Mindy's Tortilla Soup recipe cards

Mindy's tortilla soup recipe cards inside

I know, I know, you kinda want to slap her and adore her all at the same time.

Oh HAI Mindy :-)

Mindy’s recipe cards, along with another friend, Sherry’s, totally set the bar for next year’s Soup Swap.

Mindy was gracious enough to make a LOT of her lighter Tortilla Soup and she brought enough that everyone got to taste it.

I have NEVER had a tortilla soup that wasn’t a tomato based soup.

Until Now.

I LOVE.

This was light and the flavors of the cilantro, poblanos, lime juice and onion — wow.  I could taste each flavor and they blended together in perfect, tonguegasmic harmony.

Do I have your attention?

I should, trust me.

OH — did I mention Her husband? Yeah — he fried tortilla strips AND sliced avocados to bring for us to eat with our soup.  Yep.

Alright, I know, you’re thinking.. ‘shut it already, Rachel, give us the RECIPE!’

So, here it is.

[/donotprint]

[print_link]

Recipe: Mindy’s Light Chicken Tortilla Soup

• 8 (or more) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • Vegetable Oil (for frying the tortilla strips)
  • 1 lb Chicken Breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
  • 2 fresh Poblano Chiles, rinsed, seeded, cut into 1/4 inch strips
  • 1/2 C chopped Onion
  • 8 C chicken broth
  • 1/4 C fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 C lime juice
  • Monterrey Jack Cheese (for garnish)
  • Avocado Slices (for garnish)

1. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crisp, set aside
  2. Bring broth, onions and chiles to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes
  3. Add cooked chicken and cilantro, cover and simmer 5 minutes
  4. Add lime juice and stir
  5. Ladle soup into serving bowls
  6. Divide tortilla strips among bowls and garnish with avocado and cheese

Quick Notes

* I hope you enjoy this super simple, delicious and light soup!! Fried tortilla strips can be substituted with tortilla chips, however it is worth the extra effort to fry your own

Variations

*** Rachel’s note — if you like the zing — don’t seed the peppers

[donotprint]
Mindy, I can’t thank you enough — for your friendship, your recipe, your help, your laughter and your family — also, hope your voice is back ;-) ;-) **snicker**

Subscribe to the list to get free recipes, updates, giveaways and much more.

Comments

1. Mindy Herod says

How exciting to have my soup on A Southern Fairytale! Glad you added the note about leaving some pepper seeds. I do that sometimes too. Soup Swap 2011 was a success and a super fun time! My voice is slowly coming back, but my face still hurts from laughing so hard! Oh, and I see you decided on the “before” cow picture instead of the “after party” cow pic ;-)

2. spalatorie auto says

I never ate a tortilla soup before, but I have to say that I’m going to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing this.

Your soup swap sounds like such fun, and how wonderful you collected so much for the food bank as well! I have never had a tortilla soup that wasn’t tomato based either and as my husband doesn’t like tomatoes much I couldn’t really make it at home. But I can now thank to Mindy! Her version sounds wonderful – thank you for sharing it, and for hosting!

I’m so excited to take part this week. I almost never have a recipe. I’m a woefully inadequate cook. I was working on being a better cook earlier this year. I’m excited to get back to it again.

This soup sounds SO good. I love chicken tortilla soup!
    I just discovered your blog and am loving it! And I’ve linked up to Mouthwatering Monday for the first time today. Thanks for hosting…can’t wait to visit everyone and check out their recipes.
    Til Next Time,
    Jenn
    Jennifer@HomeMatters´s most recent brilliance ..Free from Vistaprint

Lovin your blog. Contributing to MWM for the first time with a heathy saad of almonds, chicken and asparagus. Have a great week.

First of all I am so excited to find your blog – it’s awesome! Thank you for hosting this party. That soup sounds delish and I’ve already printed it out. Looking forward to reading through some of the other recipes!

Hey Rachel! I think your soup swap Idea is so great! I practice giving back with food as much as I can as well through cooking at our local winter homeless shelter at the church on some fridays and also participating in Moms Of Love which is a Food Tidings group for those in need of meals during illness and loss. I think we who adore to nurture through cooking find perfect service in this way! I will check out your virtual soup swap, I have a few soups up my sleeve as well! I am linking up a new recipe that I just made called Tex Mex Quinoa Loco that you can make either meatless or with meat that my kids said is their new favorite recipe! All the best! Alex
    alex@amoderatelife´s most recent brilliance ..Hearth and Soul Hop-Volume 32!

What a GREAT recipe! I’ll share my harira next rime around!!! and mioght just steal your idea for the food banks around here – they always need stuff… :) great way to reach out and put flesh on the words of heping others. putting this recipe on my menu for the next week. Might ust make it for while I’m at BLiSSDOM!!!
    *Blessings*
    Liberty´s most recent brilliance ..2011 Pagani Huayra Supercar Leaked Again

1. [...] Mouthwatering Monday Tuesday Twister Hearth and Soul Tempt My Tummy Tuesday Tuesdays at the Table Delicious Dishes Tasty Tuesday @ 33 Shades of Green Tasty Tuesday @ Beauty and Bedlam Tuesday Night Supper Club Full Plate Thursday Foodie Friday Friday Potluck Cooking & Recipes, Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday   Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday      Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 – The Kitchen – Part 2 » [...]

2. [...] with A Southern Fairytale,  Skip To My Lou, From Mess Hall to Bistro, 33 Shades of Green, Balancing Beauty and [...]