It has been about an hour since I made this salad and paired it with a perfectly cooked, thinly sliced 4 oz steak
and I still have a pleasantly tangy peppery flavor in my mouth.
I’ve been playing around with a spicy mustard garlic vinaigrette for a few months because I adore the flavors, the ease and tonight — tonight, I achieved the pinnacle of Tonguegasmic Mustard/Garlic/Vinegar-y deliciousness
My family and I are huge fans of garlic, mustard and fresh raw spinach. If you put raw spinach out, my kids will devour it, they don’t need any dressing or dipping sauce — it’s one of my consolations and nods that somewhere, somehow– I’m doing something right.
I’ve made a few sauces with spicy mustard and garlic and I love sprinkling garlic over spinach so I just knew, that out there somewhere, there was a vinaigrette just waiting for me — one that would double as a dressing, a spread for toasted bread and a marinade.
Oh baby, oh hail yes. This – is it.
Beware, if you do not adore garlic, spicy mustard and tang — walk away now.
Those 5 simple ingredients blend together to produce a tangy, savory, peppery, delicious, unforgettable vinaigrette that is perfect when tossed with fresh spinach and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese, sliced tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper.
Mince 4 garlic cloves and put in your bowl.
Add in 1 rounded tsp spicy mustard
Add 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar.
Add 2 to 5 turns of freshly ground black pepper, according to your preferences — 1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
If you have a food processor, blender, hand mixer — you can puree this up nicely and reduce the garlic to mere shreds — this is not necessary, this is not a smooth vinaigrette, but it definitely sharpens the flavors.
Let the vinaigrette rest for an hour at room temperature and then toss it over about 5 oz of fresh raw spinach; toss until fully coated.
I have found that for me, the best accompaniments for this are freshly grated parmesan
This is honestly, my favorite salad combination to date, and that is saying a lot.
This is a salad that my husband will devour willingly and ask for seconds and THAT is a monumental accomplishment, y’all. He is a chicken fried steak and potatoes boy.
Recipe: Garlic Vinaigrette with Spicy Mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tsp Spicy Mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 to 5 turns of a pepper grinder ( 1/4 to 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper to taste)
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- parmesan cheese, grated
- mince 4 garlic cloves
- Add garlic, Spicy Mustard, White Wine Vinegar, Pepper and Olive oil in a dish and mix well
- Let rest at room temperature for an hour
- Toss with spinach
- Top with freshly grated parmesan
* top with sliced cherry/grape tomatoes for a burst of sweetness and add crumbled bacon for crunch and saltiness
I’m so happy with the way Mouthwatering Mondays has grown, I know that I share recipes throughout the week but, Mondays make me happy. I love seeing how many of y’all are visiting each others blogs and discovering fellow foodies! Thank y’all for participating and sharing the love
* If you link up a recipe, please play nice, it’s the right thing to do
* Please leave a comment
* Link your recipe URL, not your blog URL
* I highly suggest y’all visit at least 3 other participants, it’s so worth it!
* Link back here in your post so that others can participate in the linky love