Spicy Garlic Vinaigrette

Spinach Garlic Vinaigrette Salad

It has been about an hour since I made this salad and paired it with a perfectly cooked, thinly sliced 4 oz steak

garlic vinaigrette salad with steak

and I still have a pleasantly tangy peppery flavor in my mouth.

I’ve been playing around with a spicy mustard garlic vinaigrette for a few months because I adore the flavors, the ease and tonight — tonight, I achieved the pinnacle of Tonguegasmic Mustard/Garlic/Vinegar-y deliciousness

My family and I are huge fans of garlic, mustard and fresh raw spinach.  If you put raw spinach out, my kids will devour it, they don’t need any dressing or dipping sauce — it’s one of my consolations and nods that somewhere, somehow– I’m doing something right.

I’ve made a few sauces with spicy mustard and garlic and I love sprinkling garlic over spinach so I just knew, that out there somewhere, there was a vinaigrette just waiting for me — one that would double as a dressing, a spread for toasted bread and a marinade.

Oh baby, oh hail yes.  This – is it.

Beware, if you do not adore garlic, spicy mustard and tang — walk away now.

vinaigrette ingredients

Those 5 simple ingredients blend together to produce a tangy, savory, peppery, delicious, unforgettable vinaigrette that is perfect when tossed with fresh spinach and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese, sliced tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper.

Mince 4 garlic cloves and put in your bowl.

Add in 1 rounded tsp spicy mustard

Tsp of spicy mustard

Add 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar.

Add 2 to 5 turns of freshly ground black pepper, according to your preferences — 1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

If you have a food processor, blender, hand mixer — you can puree this up nicely and reduce the garlic to mere shreds — this is not necessary, this is not a smooth vinaigrette, but it definitely sharpens the flavors.

Let the vinaigrette rest for an hour at room temperature and then toss it over about 5 oz of fresh raw spinach; toss until fully coated.

I have found that for me, the best accompaniments for this are freshly grated parmesan

parmesan cheese for vin.

sliced cherry/grape tomatoes and crumbled bacon

Spinach Garlic Vinaigrette Salad

This is honestly, my favorite salad combination to date, and that is saying a lot.

This is a salad that my husband will devour willingly and ask for seconds and THAT is a monumental accomplishment, y’all.  He is a chicken fried steak and potatoes boy.

Enough of my yammering, y’all just want the recipe!
garlic vinaigrette salad with steak

Spicy Garlic Vinaigrette

Prep time
Total time

A simple and delicious spicy garlic vinaigrette. The perfect complement to a spinach salad
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or light olive oil for salad dressings
  • 1 heaping teaspoon spicy mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • Freshly ground black pepper (1/4 to ½ teaspoon or 4 to 5 turns of a pepper grinder)
  1. Mince the garlic
  2. Combine the garlic, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, and pepper. Whisk vigorously and let rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
Rachel's Notes
Toss this dressing with spinach and top with freshly grated parmesan, cherry tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and sliced red onions and mushrooms.

I’m so happy with the way Mouthwatering Mondays has grown, I know that I share recipes throughout the week but, Mondays make me happy.  I love seeing how many of y’all are visiting each others blogs and discovering fellow foodies! Thank y’all for participating and sharing the love

* If you link up a recipe, please play nice, it’s the right thing to do

* Please leave a comment
* Link your recipe URL, not your blog URL
* I highly suggest y’all visit at least 3 other participants, it’s so worth it!
* Link back here in your post so that others can participate in the linky love

Comments

1. April@The 21st Century Housewife says

Being a huge fan of garlic, spicy mustard and tang, your recipe really does have my mouth watering! Thank you for sharing it, and for hosting Mouthwatering Mondays!

I’m not kidding when I tell you every time you post a recipe it looks so good I print out the recipe!! You are a fabulous recipe source – thank you! I will definitely have to make this sometime this week. Thanks for hosting this party. I love checking out what everyone’s been cookin’. Happy Valentines Day, Lisa

Hi, There is no linky now, I have tried again and again. I don’t know if it me, you or the Linky, itself. Will try to come back.

As a point, the other night, I could not find a linky and linkys were down.

Hi Bizzy,

I’m looking at it right now and the linky is up? hmmmm. I know that a few days ago Brent (the linkytools owner) updated and upgraded his entire site, which had the linkies not showing up.

However, it’s up and showing for me right now.

If you want, add the link in another comment and I’ll enter it myself — if you can’t get it to work for you. :-( sorry for the troubles. I know that’s frustrating.

:Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff prueiovs to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a great web site.

4. Allison Zapata says

yummy! i do one with grapeseed oil, garlic, anchovies, lemon, stoneground mustard. top on mixed greens with parmesan and avocado. SO GOOD!

can’t wait to try this one. LOVE this combo.

Thanks!

Hi! I am sharing one of my two recipes for chocolate cut-out cookies. We couldn’t agree on a favorite between 2 recipes that I tested, so I posted them both! This recipe is called Chocolate Sweet Hearts. This recipe is gluten free, but can be made with “regular” flour if you don’t have an issue with gluten.
    Thanks for hosting!
    Andrea (Andreas Kitchen)´s most recent brilliance ..Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies- Part Two

You know what This weekend is very Special for me and so I have collected all my FAVOURITE stuff for this and this spinach salad is LAST one…..NOW my LUCH & DINNER both on this weekend is AWESOME with this spicy STARTER.

7. Stephanie Smirnov says

What is it about spinach that makes us feel such parental triumph when our kids eat it? I feel exactly the same way you do–except in my case, it’s getting my 8-yo to not only try but LOVE a morning smoothie I make with bananas, Greek yogurt, honey, blueberries and tons of fresh spinach! It’s revoltingly green and he adores it. Magic Bullet FTW.

I don’t know but, I feel like I’ve conquered a mountain when they do!

That sounds delicious, Stephanie! Care to email me the details? I’d love to try it for myself and see if the kids and hubby would drink it!! mwah

8. nike free 5.0 v4 says

Because the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very quickly it
    will be well-known, due to its quality contents.
    nike free 5.0 v4´s most recent brilliance ..nike free 5.0 v4

1. […] Mouthwatering Monday Monday Mania Tuesday Twister Hearth and Soul Tempt My Tummy Tuesday Tuesdays at the Table Delicious Dishes Tasty Tuesday @ 33 Shades of Green Tasty Tuesday @ Beauty and Bedlam Tuesday Night Supper Club Full Plate Thursday Foodie Friday Friday Potluck Cooking & Recipes, Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday   Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday      Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 – The Pantry and Fridge » […]

2. […] of Hepworths, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Designs by Gollum, Simply Sweet Home, 504 Main, A Southern Fairytale & Balancing Beauty and Bedlam – stop on by to see what everyone else has come up with […]