Easter Ham Recipes

[donotprint]I simply can’t believe that I just typed that title.

That means it’s April — would someone please tell me where February and March went!

I’m thinking about buying a ham this week with the excuse that I want to play with and perfect a new marinade but, truthfully — it’s just that I love ham and we’ve  been so busy with kickball and out of town traveling that I haven’t cooked an actual meal in nearly a week and a half and I’m seriously jonesin’ to get back in my kitchen and dirty it up.

Last year, we had a ‘trial run’ Easter and invited friends and family over to try some new recipes and just spend a fun day together — I highly suggest doing that, it was SO fun and everyone went home with new recipes!

glazed ham table of food

Both of the hams that I made last year were packed full of flavor, easy and delicious (and really, isn’t that what we all want?)

Bourbon Brown Sugar Ham

bourbon sugar ham

I am wholeheartedly NOT a sticky sweet glazed ham person — you know those packets that come with store bought hams?  No Thank you.  This however, was delicious, a bit savory with just a little crispy sweetness.
[/donotprint]

[print_link]

Recipe: Bourbon Brown Sugar Glazed Ham

• 3/4 to 1 1/2 C Bourbon
  • 1 Tbsp ground mustard
  • 2 C dark brown sugar

1. Your oven temp. will depend on your ham, boneless, bone-in etc.. follow the directions on your ham package.
  2. Place your ham fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Lightly score the fat about 1 inch apart.. pour 3/4 C bourbon whiskey over ham and pour 1 C water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
  3. Cover tightly with foil or a roasting pan lid and bake ham as directed.
  4. Mix brown sugar, mustard and remaining bourbon in a bowl to create a paste, set aside.
  5. When you have 40 minutes left for your ham, pull the ham out of the oven and remove the foil/lid. Slather the paste onto the ham, use a spoon or basting tool and drizzle the juices from the roasting pan over the ham.
  6. Cover the ham and place it back into the oven for the remaining amount of time.
  7. Pull the ham out of the oven, allow it to cool and then slice.

[donotprint]
Then there was the Pineapple Chipotle Glazed Ham that totally rocked my socks with the smoky chipotles, sweet pineapples and honey and a hint of zing from the fresh ginger.

Pineapple Chipotle Honey Ginger Glazed Ham

pineapple chipotle ham glaze

I adore fresh ginger.  I think fresh ginger should be a staple in everyone’s lives.  Really and Truly
[/donotprint]

[print_link]

Recipe: Chipotle Pineapple Honey Ginger Glazed Ham

• 1 (20 oz) Can crushed pineapple or sliced pineapple with 1/2 the juice drained out
  • 1 to 3 chipotle peppers ( I used two and didn’t seed them) This adds a delicious smoky heat to this sweet and savory glaze
  • 1 C honey, if you can, use local, wildflower honey.
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • salt and pepper, to taste.. (I added 1 Tbsp of RSS)

1. Follow the directions on your ham package as to oven temp and times.
  2. Place your ham, fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Put 1 C water in the bottom of the pan and then drizzle 1/2 C of the glaze over the ham.
  3. Cover tightly with foil or roasting pan lid and bake according to your package directions (This was a 10 lb ham.. 325 degrees F.. 25 minutes per pound)
  4. When the ham has 1 hour left, put the rest of the glaze in a medium saucepan and bring to a slow simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  5. Remove ham from oven; uncover and pour the glaze over the ham.
  6. Put back in the oven and bake for the remaining 45 minutes.
  7. Remove ham from oven, let cool and slice.

[donotprint]

I think that this week, I’m going to twist up my Pork Orange Chipotle Marinade and try it for ham!

Do you have a favorite Easter Ham Recipe?  A favorite side dish?  Do you do trial runs of your recipes?  I’d love to hear y’all’s ideas and favorites!

I’ll share some side dishes later this week, too!

Happy Monday, y’all!
[/donotprint]

Comments

Mmmh! Those both sound really delicious…and absolutely simple! Nothing gets made from a packet in my house. Made bourbon spareribs last night…marinade and sauce completely homemade. It’s so easy and tastes so much better!!

That’s a really neat idea about a trial run Easter to try out recipes! I will have to file that away in my brain for when we’re living closer to friends and family…
    Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead´s most recent brilliance ..The Shutters are Hung

I think I would be happier with either of those glazes. Although that bourbon one is really calling my name!!
    I cant believe Easter is almost here. You have reminded me to start thinking about Easter meals as well. Sounds like you’ve been enjoying yourself – yay! It’s good to take time away and have a breather and not cook for a while. Makes you happy to get back in the kitchen again.
    Thanks again for hosting the link party. I get so many great ideas! Have a great week!
    Brandie´s most recent brilliance ..A few of my favorite things

Ooh, the pineapple chipotle ham sounds good. We generally have regular plain ham and jezebel sauce on the side. I’d forgotten all about Easter meaning ham time, I’m looking forward more to Easter now. :)
    Danyelle´s most recent brilliance ..Quarterly Top 5

Hi Rachel! I too am a lover of all things ham and your two recipes for glazes look divine! I especially like the jim beam one! :) hehehe….Linking up a great and easy bittman recipe for chicken noodle soup that I made when my husband was under the weather and I didn’t have time to be fussing in the kitchen! Hugs! Alex
    alex at a moderate life´s most recent brilliance ..Tropical Traditions Raw Honey Giveaway!

5. April@The 21st Century Housewife says

Both these recipes sound just wonderful! I love the idea of the bourbon and brown sugar, and pineapple, honey and ginger – oh my! Thank you for sharing these great recipes for ham, and also for hosting!

Both of these glazes sound wonderful. I made one at the holidays and vowed it as “must always make” ham recipe but these both are sure tempting!

Here are a couple of ham glaze recipes from Cooks’ Illustrated. You just combine the ingredients and cook over medium heat until syrupy. I have only tried the maple orange one, and it is excellent:

# Maple-Orange Glaze
    # 3/4cup maple syrup
    # 1/2cup orange marmalade
    # 2tablespoons unsalted butter
    # 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
    # 1teaspoon ground black pepper
    # 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon

# Cherry-Port Glaze
    # 1/2cup ruby port
    # 1/2cup cherry preserves
    # 1cup packed dark brown sugar
    # 1teaspoon ground black pepper

I just found your site and joined your linky party. Thanks!
    Vicki V´s most recent brilliance ..Do the Cue

8. Rachel says

I love your blog!

And, just to stay, I WILL be making ham on Easter Sunday now because of this post! The Bourbon Brown Sugar Ham sounds amazing!
    Rachel´s most recent brilliance ..Menu Plan Monday

9. Kim says

Mmmm… we LOVE a good Easter ham in our family but always buy the ones with a packaged glaze ready to go. This inspires me to try making one myself!

I’d love for you to stop by my blog today and link this up to So Sweet Sundays, going on unhtil tonight! :)

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

Love this recipe! If you’re looking for an AMAZING ham source, our family gets all of our meat from Pasture Prime Family Farm. They ship nationwide I believe. Humanely raised, heritage breeds, and fed all-natural feed. It truly makes a difference in the flavor, and of course, it’s much healthier for you 

1. Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday - Amish Cook's Chocolate Chip Pie | Dr. Laura's Adventures @ WhoIsLaura.com says:

[…] Mouthwatering Monday Recipe of the Week Tempt My Tummy Tuesday Hearth and Soul Tuesdays at the Table Delicious Dishes Tasty Tuesday @ 33 Shades of Green Tasty Tuesday @ Beauty and Bedlam Tuesday Night Supper Club Full Plate Thursday Foodie Friday Friday Potluck Sweet Tooth Friday Friday Favorites Cooking & Recipes, Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday   Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday      Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 – Office Storage » […]

2. […] her picky eaters during Passover. Ham is usually the star of the typical Easter Sunday dinner and Rachel has TWO recipes for ham that will have your guests and family reaching for seconds and thirds! If you’re the type to […]

3. […] some diced black olives and vidalia onion.  Perfection!! This recipe is linked up with Mouthwatering Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Mangia Monday, My Meatless Monday, […]