A very good friend had a birthday this past Thursday and when I asked her what she wanted – she said; “Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting”
This kind of stumped me because before then, I had never made Chocolate Frosting.
However, since she’s a good friend and I love a challenge I scoured Granny’s recipes, a couple of cookbooks and ze internets – whipped out my KitchenAid and got to work
In my mixer, I whipped butter until it was fluffy and pale gold and then I alternately added vanilla, evaporated milk and the cocoa/sugar mixture until it was all fully incorporated. I scraped the sides of the bowl frequently and kept whipping it until it reached the consistency that I wanted for piping; spooned the chocolate frosting of awesomeness into my piping bag (after the 4 yo, the 7 you and I all taste tested it, of course.)
and I frosted 22 cupcakes for a 32 year old, friend.
I have to tell y’all — I’m not really a chocolate frosting person but this — this chocolate frosting with the subtle undertones of cinnamon and the creamy richness from the evaporated milk and real cocoa – ZOMG!!!!
Delicious, rich creamy chocolate frosting.
- 3/4 C unsweetened Cocoa Powder (dark cocoa would be amazing, too)
- 5 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 C butter
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C and 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
- Sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa and cinnamon in a large bowl and set aside
- In your mixing bowl, whip butter until it’s fluffy, creamy and a beautiful pale gold color
- Alternate adding the evaporated milk, vanilla and sugar/cocoa mixture scraping the sides and bottom of your bowl frequently and whipping until it’s your desired consistency. If necessary, add more powdered sugar or less milk
This frosted 22 Cupcakes, with adequate frosting for tasting ;-)
Thanks for linking up your deliciousness every week! I love seeing what y’all are feeding your families!
Leave your link, leave a comment, link back and visit others! Happy Mouthwatering Monday, y’all!
Here are a few of my favorites from last week’s linky:
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Fudge
- Parmesan Parsley Smashed Potatoes
- Fried Green Tomato Hamburgers
- Shrimp Fajitas