“What do you do with all those cans of Garbanzo beans?” – that’s what my mom asked me upon returning home from Blissdom. (she had apparently been scanning my pantry shelves)
My response – “I’m hoping to make Oven Roasted Chickpeas”
This past summer, my friend Crystal posted this delicious Baked Garbanzo Beans Recipe, and then I saw Jaden’s Roasted Chickpeas recipe, and Kalyn’s Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas recipe and it dawned on me that I seemed to be missing out on something.
This snack was purported to be crispy and flavorful with a wicked crunch like corn nuts, but without all the fat, and with the added awesomeness of having one of the highest protein levels of any plant.
Due to their high protein level and deliciousness, Garbanzo beans (aka Chickpeas) are a staple in Indian food and in vegetarian diets.
Nathan is a corn nut fanatic and I love all things crispy and spicy — I’m not sure why it’s taken me more than 6 months to jump on the Roasted Chickpeas bandwagon, but I am solidly on board now.
I admit — once the cans were emptied and the beans were rinsed – I was skeptical
I followed directions and dried the beans completely and then drizzled them with olive oil and tossed them to coat
Still not seeing the appeal, however being the accommodating, adventurous and somewhat bored person that I am …. I stuck them in the Pre-heated 400℉ oven and left them to their own devices for 30 minutes.
30 minutes later, they still weren’t golden-brown or crispy.
So I left them for 10 more minutes.
At 40 minutes, I pulled them out of the oven, spritzed them with a dash more olive oil – sprinkled them with sea salt and Garlic and Herb Seasoning.
I’ll admit it, I was more than a little bit skeptical.
I somewhat reluctantly plucked one off the baking sheet – blew on it and popped it in my mouth.
Even the kids – my pickety, snickety, won’t eat cooked veggies kids jumped on these babies like white on rice.
Tiny, dirty, sweet little fingers snatched these healthy little treats out of the bowl like you wouldn’t believe.
Sign me up.
Healthy. Crispy. Crunchy. – – and under $1.50 a batch….. yes, please.
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Garbanzo Beans -aka Chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Seasoning Blend
- Pre-heat oven to 400 ℉
- Pour the garbanzo beans into a strainer and rinse for a minute or two, tossing them around to get all the starchy liquid rinsed off.
- Pour out onto a paper towel lined surface and then dry with another paper towel - allow to dry completely for about 5 minutes.
- Remove any shells/casings
- Pour the Chickpeas onto a baking sheet - smooth into a single layer and drizzle with olive oil. Using your hands, roll the beans around until they are coated in oil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and crispy - Don't burn
- Remove from the oven and spritz with olive oil or olive oil baking spray - sprinkle with sea salt and your favorite seasoning blend
Cinnamon and Sugar
Garlic and Cayenne
Rosemary and Sea Salt with lemon
The only limit is your imagination
Have you ever made something that surprised you? Good or bad?
A few favorites from last week’s linky:0