I love grapefruit.
Grapefruits, to me, are the perfect citrus – tangy, slightly bitter, somewhat sour with just a hint of sweet. Just writing about them right now has my mouth watering.
A few months ago, Maria (one of my favorite food bloggers) wrote a post about Broiled Grapefruit, I was intrigued. I pinned it and forgot about it.
A few days ago, I was browsing my pinterest boards and came across that pin – I jumped off the couch, grabbed a knife, cut into a couple of grapefruits, used a grapefruit spoon to loosen the fruit from the skin and drizzled them with honey, brown sugar and cinnamon.
I turned my broiler on HI and put my dish with the grapefruit in the oven – in retrospect, I should have moved my oven rack up one level so the caramelization would have been more intense.
I left the grapefruit in the oven for about 7 minutes, plenty of time for the sugars to caramelize.
I’m loving this deliciousness – it’s warm and sweet, and tangy and just… YUM.
Seriously, y’all – even if you’re in the anti-grapefruit camp, I think y’all should give this a try. It takes grapefruit to a whole new level of delicious.
Inspired by This Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2 Grapefruit
- Honey for drizzling
- Brown Sugar for sprinkling
- Roasted Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Turn your oven's broiler on HI
- Cut the grapefruit in half - try not to drool
- Use a grapefruit spoon, or paring knife, to gently loosen the fruit from the skin (don't completely remove it all the way down to the base, you don't want to lose all the juice) - this allows all the yummy flavors to seep all the way down into the grapefruit.
- Drizzle with honey, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Place under the broiler and (depending on your oven) cook for 3 to 10 minutes, or until the sugars are caramelized and the fruit is swollen and ready to burst out of the skin.
You can use agave nectar instead of honey, turbinado sugar instead of brown and even add a dash of cumino or sea salt for a flavor boost.
Thank y’all so much for linking up every Monday and sharing the yummies that come from your kitchens!
Make sure y’all take the time to visit each other, pin some of your favorite recipes, link back here, comment and share the love!
Here are a few of my favorites from last week’s link up
- Chocolate Bourbon Banana Bread
- Black Bean Soup with Cumin and Jalapeno
- Rainbow Cake in A Jar with Cloud Frosting
- Caramel Coconut Kiss Cookies
- Dreamy Lemon Ice Cream