If I say Puppy Chow, and you were born before 1990 you don’t have visions of cute puppies with wagging tails and lolling tongues dancing through your head.
If you were born before 1990, you are immediately transported back to the peanut buttery, powdered sugary, crispy, crunchy snack mix that showed up at every class party, birthday party and after school event.
For some unknown reason, Puppy Chow is now known as Muddy Buddy snack mix (what?) but the basics remain the same.
The other day I was debating what to put into our ‘You’ve Been Booed” buckets, and puppy chow came to mind. Sugary, savory, crispy, a hint salty – it’s kind of the definition of perfection in the snack world.
However my kids aren’t keen on peanut butter (I KNOW!) so I twisted, tweaked, and with a bit of inspiration from Your Cup of Cake , I have a brand new Halloween inspired Puppy Chow that is chock full of Halloween Goodness and Nutella nomminess.
My kids and I like peanut butter, but aside from reese’s pieces, we don’t like peanut butter in our snacks .
The base ingredient of puppy chow is peanut butter.
I see your peanut butter, and raise you Nutella.
Not only did I replace the peanut butter with Nutella, but as inspired by Your Cup of Cake, I added another ingredient to give this Puppy Chow another layer of deliciousness. She uses Brownie Mix, I had chocolate cake mix.. po-TAY-toh vs po – TAH – toe. Just sayin’
It’s possible that I went a bit Halloween/Fall crazy in the ingredients.. I scoured the shelves of my local Target’s Halloween aisle (which took about 5 minutes) to find the Halloween M&M’s, the S’mores Candy Corn (WHAT?!), the Autumn Candy Corn Mix (DUDE – the pumpkins)
This is – if I may say so myself – one of the best puppy chows that I’ve ever had. It’s chocolate-y, crispy – nutty – sweet – savory, and pretty much just awesome-y
Puppy Chow is a childhood favorite. A few new ingredients, a few twists and turns to the recipe, and puppy chow is now a new halloween/fall favorite recipe.
- 10 Cups Chex Cereal ( I do 5 corn and 5 rice)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 C Nutella
- 3/4 C powdered Sugar
- 3/4 C chocolate cake or chocolate brownie mix
- 2 C halloween m&m's
- 2 C autumn candy corn mix
- 1/2 C s'mores candy corn mix (if you can find it)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Divide the chex cereal into 5 C each
- Place the powdered sugar into one large plastic zip close bag
- Place the brownie/cake mix into one large plastic zip close bag
- Place the butter and Nutella into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds, stir. If necessary, microwave another 15 seconds. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the nutella/butter mixture over the chex cereal.
- Divide the mixture in half and place one half in the powdered sugar bag, and one half in the chocolate mix bag.
- SHAKE BOTH BAGS VIGOROUSLY UNTIL COATED.
- Pour the coated chex mix out onto paper towels to rest.
- Combine the candies and sugar coated chex mix and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- Portion at will and devour.
If you love this recipe, but you want something more.
I have taken puppy chow to a whole new level, and I can’t wait to share THAT recipe with y’all later this week.
Salty. Spicy. Crunchy. Savory, Sweet.