Growing up in Texas, breakfast tacos are a part of life.
I was in my late 20′s/early 30′s before I was made aware that not everyone eats breakfast tacos. What are y’all eating? Pancakes and Waffles are great, but let’s be real, y’all. Breakfast tacos are where it’s at.
Back in Calallen, there was this little hole in the wall that had the most amazing breakfast tacos; it was standing room only most mornings. I get a little teary eyed thinking about their chorizo and egg, and picadillo breakfast tacos. Simply out of this world.
One of our favorite breakfast taco combinations is chorizo and egg; it’s spicy, messy, rich, filling, and oh my gosh wonderful.
When I saw that this month’s California Avocado Recipe theme was breakfast, I immediately knew that I was doing breakfast tacos. Last year, I made these Deconstructed Migas, and they’re definitely one of our favorite breakfasts, but they also made me realize that I really love ugly, messy, hard to photograph food.
Seriously, don’t judge these by the pictures. They are so incredibly delicious.
Spicy, seasoned, oven roasted potatoes, paired with the smoky, spicy, wonderfulness that is chorizo, combined with rich, protein packed scrambled eggs all topped by creamy California Avocados and freshly chopped cilantro. Wrap that delectable concoction up in flame charred corn tortillas and you have a filling, mouth watering, scrumptious, crave-worthy breakfast that will bring all the neighbors to the yard.
(yes, I went there)
The most frequent comment I hear from people is that they shy away from chorizo due to it’s greasiness – there’s definitely a trick to cooking chorizo, you cook it and then remove it to a paper towel lined dish to soak up the excess drippings, but you cook the egg in the drippings that are left in the skillet and oh my heavens, y’all. BOOM! flavor explosion!
Do not shy away from the chorizo! Embrace the chorizo!
Seriously, y’all. Make these. Now. Tomorrow. Twice tomorrow. I’ve had them at least twice a week for the past month. These are breakfast taco heaven.
- 1 Cup quartered baby red potatoes
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 3 oz Chorizo
- 7 Eggs
- 1/2 California Avocado
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lime, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F
- quarter the potatoes and add them to a bowl, top the with the seasonings and olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Lay the seasoned potatoes out on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 16 to 20 minutes, until crispy - set aside
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the chorizo to a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook until sizzling. Stir frequently.
- Remove the chorizo from the skillet to a paper towel lined dish, and let drain.
- Add the eggs to the skillet with the chorizo drippings and stir constantly over medium heat. When the eggs have reached soft-firm stage, add the chorizo. Cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are to your liking.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Heat the tortillas over open flame, or under the broiler.
- Garnish with chopped avocado, freshly chopped parsley, and lime
Disclosure: This recipe was created and inspired by my partnership with the California Avocado Commission. I’m honored to be a compensated 2014 brand ambassador for CAC. All opinions expressed are my own. For more great recipes visit the California Avocado Commission website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.