You know those days when you’re roaming through an airport and you feel completely and totally lost?
If you travel a lot you know what I mean.
You start to forget where you are, which state, which airport, which day of the week it is.
This past week in the Portland airport, I had a 3.4 hour layover and I was craving comfort food (and water)
I stumbled upon a delightful little biergarten and this Garlic Cheese Bread with Rosemary
I instagrammed that pic and y’all went crazy over it.
It seems I am not the only one who craves garlic and rosemary and crusty, buttery bread.
I knew that the first thing that I wanted to do upon returning home (after greeting the family, of course) was to recreate this bread.
I knew the basic ingredients were a few of my favorites.
It’s no secret that I love rosemary, that’s evident by the huge rosemary bush outside my front door and garlic and butter… sheesh y’all.. I’m a Texas girl… that should go without saying.
The garlic rosemary cheese bread at the airport was delicious, but it dripped grease and butter and all in all, it was a bit to spongy and heavy.
But the premise, oh hot damn… I was in.. I think I spent the next 9 hours of flight and airport time dreaming about how I could turn my rosemary bush into an even better version of this delicious food
There’s something fun about recreating a recipe and being able to control the ingredients and flavors so that it fits your tastes
My mind is still recovering from jet lag and storms and the scariest flight ever – right, Amy!!
I don’t know the last time I was so inspired, was treated so well or was so thoroughly wined and dined and fed such amazing food, if you want to know what I was up to and why I was in the Portland airport to eat and be inspired by that Cheesy Concoction above, check out Sandy’s post today, she captured our weekend with Harry and David perfectly.
I’m so happy to be back home with my family, and I think they were just as happy to have me home… or maybe it was the Moose Munch, truffles and flying monkey ninja toy that I brought with me?
Either way, they were definitely happy to devour this Garlic Cheese Bread with Fresh Rosemary.
I altered the recipe from the one that I had at the airport, it’s not spongy and saturated with butter – instead it’s crisp and the flavors simply explode in your mouth with each bite.
Are y’all ready for me to stop telling you about it and give y’all the recipe?
Well, I aim to please, so here it is!
Garlic Cheese Bread with Fresh Rosemary
- 10 slices of french bread ciabatta would be wonderful, too
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 sticks 1 C butter
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary remove from stems
- 5 slices swiss cheese torn/cut in half
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F
- Smash the garlic cloves with a knife or spoon
- Strip the rosemary from the stems
- Whip the butter, garlic and rosemary together in your KitchenAid, until creamy
- Slather each slice of bread with the rosemary, garlic butter mixture
- Top each piece of buttered bread with one half slice of swiss cheese
- Top with more rosemary garlic butter for good measure
- Bake about 15 minutes - this will depend on how crisp you like your toast and your individual oven.
- I baked my bread on a baking sheet with a wire rack so the bread wasn't sitting directly ON the baking sheet, I have better luck this way.
- You want the cheese all bubbly and golden and melted and the bread to be crispy and delicious, but not crouton hard.
Thank y’all for linking up your own delicious recipes to Mouthwatering Mondays each week! I love seeing what y’all are making and being inspired by y’all!
Remember to link up – link back – leave a comment (about the recipe, your recipe, or just saying Hi) Visit other participants and tweet, stumble, and pin their deliciousness, too!
A few of my favorites from last week
- Mango Upside Down Gingerbread Cake from I Wash, You Dry
- Chipotle Bean Burritos from High Heels & Grills
- Tasty Hummus from Growing in Grace
- Nectarine Almond Pie from Jam Hands
YUM! I swear, y’all inspire me and make me drool every week! I can’t wait to see what y’all have in store for this week!
psst.. trying something new with the rounded corners. What do y’all think?