Rock salt crunching with every turn of the handle.
Peach juice dripping from the cutting board.
The smell of sugar and cream wafting on the humid breeze.
These are some of my favorite childhood memories.
20-something years later – I can still feel the rush of icy air when my Dad would lift the lid of the ice cream churn to check the consistency of the ice cream. I can still hear the rock salt crunching against the sides of the ice cream maker, and I can still see my mom peeling, chopping, and prepping the fresh Texas fruit.
There is absolutely nothing in the world like homemade ice cream.
Unless it’s homemade peach ice cream that’s made with peach schnapps soaked peaches, pie crust and then topped with a caramel sauce made with aged Texas bourbon.
That pretty much jumps on top of every other ice cream I’ve ever had and screams “I’m King of The Mountain” while stomping up and down on it and doing a two step on your taste buds.
I was standing in line at the grocery store last month and stumbled across a recipe for Peach Cobbler Ice Cream with Bourbon Caramel Sauce in a Cooking Light Magazine. I immediately texted Nathan and asked him to pick me up some Peach Schnapps on his way home from work and 5 variations later – I had it.
All the crunchy, savory, goodness of peach cobbler in a no churn, no ice cream maker needed, adult kick in the pants ice cream recipe to top all other adult ice cream recipes.
- Inspired by Cooking Light's Peach Cobbler Ice Cream
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tsp roasted cinnamon
- 1/4 C peach schnapps
- 2 C peeled and chopped peaches
- 1 can, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, juice of 1 lemon
- 4 C 1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
Texas Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 C water
- 1/2 C half and half
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp Texas Bourbon
- Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 °F
- Place the peeled and chopped peaches in a bowl and cover with peach schnapps, place in the refrigerator (this can be done an hour or two beforehand for a stronger flavor)
- Combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Melt the butter.
- Line a large un-rimmed baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper and roll the pie crust out over the parchment paper.
- Brush the pie crust with butter and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1/2" to 1" squares, bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely
- Place 1 C peaches and sauce in a bowl and mash, add the remaining peaches and turbinado sugar and combine.
- Add in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon juice and stir well. Gently fold in the the pie crust and whipped topping.
- Place this mixture into a freezer safe container, cover and freeze overnight.
For the sauce
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and a dash of salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar melts; bring this mixture to a boil. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until the mixture turns amber colored. Remove from heat source.
- Slowly drizzle in the half and half, whisk constantly until smooth.
- Add in butter and bourbon and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over ice cream.
- Top with turbinado sugar