If you take me to a doughnut shop, I’ll order a cake doughnut.
If I order a cake doughnut, I might want a cake doughnut with a crispy, coarse, sugary topping.
If you take me to a doughnut shop in October or November, I’m going to want a pumpkin pie spice baked cake doughnut with turbinado sugar topping.
(I might have a first grader reading the ‘If You Give a Mouse’ … series)
Mini Baked Pumpkin Pie Donut Bites
I know that the *thing* is hot, yeasty, glazed, sticky, sugary, air filled glazed doughnuts.
Y’all can have those all day long with my blessings.
I want a doughnut that I can sink my teeth into.
I want a doughnut that stands up to hot chocolate, or milk, or coffee. I want a doughnut that leaves me feeling happy, and sated. I’ve never met a glazed yeasty doughnut that left me with any feeling other than sticky fingers.
These Pumpkin Pie spiced, crunchy turbinado sugar topped little cake doughnut bites are a cross between mini muffins and baked cake doughnuts.
They have all the depth, texture, and deliciousness of a cake doughnut, baked into a mini muffin pan.
The best of so many worlds
These really are cake doughnut-meets mini muffin-meets fall flavors-meets happiness.
Are you a glazed doughnut person or a cake doughnut person?
Pumpkin Pie Cake Doughnut Bites
- 3 ½ C sifted all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 Cups butter I use salted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 C pumpkin puree not pie filling
- ½ C buttermilk**
- 1 C Turbinado sugar optional, but not really because this really makes these
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Over a large bowl, sift 3 Cups flour.
- Using a spoon (so you don’t pack the flour down), measure out 3 ½ Cups sifted flour into another large bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, eggs, and granulated sugar
- Add in pumpkin puree, and blend completely, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the pumpkin mixture; scraping the sides and mixing well between each addition.
This is a very thick batter
- I use my cookie scoop to scoop the batter into my (very well) sprayed mini muffin tins
- Generously top each batter filled mini muffin tin with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes – Start checking at 10 minutes. You do NOT want overcook these. The muffins will spring back to touch when done; or a dry spaghetti stick will come out free of batter.