There are certain foods that evoke strong memories for me.
Memories of summer, laughter, family and security.
These pickled cucumbers are one of those foods.
Crisp, vinegary, tart, slightly sweet yet tangy and absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious. These cucumbers remind me of hot summers at my Granny’s house and the long days when summer seemed to stretch on forever and possibilities and imaginations were endless.
This recipe is so simple. Just 3 ingredients.
It can be made so much more complex but my taste-buds, my memory requires only 3 simple ingredients.
This is one of my favorite summer treats. Crisp, cool, crunchy and refreshing.
All this recipe needs are cucumbers, onions and vinegar
- 1 – 2 large cucumbers or 3 medium
- 1 yellow onion
- white vinegar
- Peel and cut the cucumbers into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
- Slice the onion into 1/4 to 1/2 inch rings
- Place the onions and cucumbers into a dish and pour enough white vinegar in to cover the cucumbers and onions.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. (these can last up to a week in the refrigerator, but they won’t be around long enough to test that theory)
- Remove and serve the cucumber slices as a snack, a side dish or just something to grab on a hot day
Do you have a favorite food that evokes memories of summertime and childhood?
What do you fix to cool off and refresh when the heat of summer is beating down on you?
I love reading (and drooling over) y’all’s recipes!