Or: Why We Shouldn’t Be Allowed in Public.
We have had many bloody incidents in this family: There was the time Princess attacked the fireplace and When Monkey tried to shave his tongue, but all these incidents happened at home. We had a doozie last night, in public.
I call this one: Monkey vs The BBQ pit.
As a part of Nathan’s birthday/valentine’ gift I got him a gift card to Academy so that he could buy himself a Kayak that he’s been drooling over. The plan was to meet him up there, get his kayak and then go have dinner. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans… We got to Academy and went into the back room where they keep all the kayaks, Princess took off running when she saw him and Monkey followed suit.
Except Monkey didn’t follow Princess exactly, he ran a bit to the left, but he ran, full speed and didn’t see the grate jutting out from one of the bbq pits.
TWHANG!!! SMACK!! SCREAM.
THWANG. the sound of Monkey’s head slamming into the grate
SMACK. the sound Monkey’s body made slamming into the ground.
SCREAM. the sound from Monkey’s mouth, bloodcurdling and frightened
I ran to him and saw it, the gaping bloody slash just below his eyebrow. His eyebrow had been split open.
The people at Academy were wonderful. They were quick to action, very caring and wonderful with the kids.
Monkey’s head bled like you wouldn’t believe and puffed up within seconds. He looked like he’d gone a couple of rounds with Tyson, but true to form once he got over the initial pain and fright… he was charming everyone and talking.
“I owie” “I boo boo” “I do it Mommy” He wouldn’t let us blot the blood anymore, he wanted to do it. Then he would grin at us and look at the blood on the napkin “Yook Mommy, Owie, I do it”
He is recovering well today and although his eye is puffy and the gash is less than pretty, it’s healing, he’s recovered and the only casualty was my sweater and the little piece of my sanity that shook loose when I saw my son flying backwards and slamming into the ground.